I have never been a huge fan of the holidays mostly because of all the stress that is involved with buying gifts, seeing people, and putting up decorations that I will inevitably break. However, what I do enjoy about the holidays is not monetary or clichéd. It’s about the food, the people and the overwhelming feeling of comfort you feel (hygge?) as snow flutters down the window pane. The blogging community this past little while seems to have an influx of posts about what to buy, what to do, and where to go during December and while I myself have put up a post or two of that sort in the past, that’s not always what I want to see when reading about the holidays.
There are enough ads on YouTube letting me know where I should do my Christmas shopping and enough posters in the TTC informing me of any activities going on in the city. What I’d want to know (as I’m sure other people would, as well) is what NOT to do this holiday season to make your experience much happier and less stressful. Below is a list of things I’ve either done myself and regretted or have never done and probably won’t be doing based on popular opinion.
1) Don’t get suckered in by the sales
You shouldn’t have to spend a month’s pay for only a few days.
2) Don’t indulge in too much comfort food
Not because you should constantly be on a diet or watching what you eat, but because it will make you lethargic and form habits that will be harder to break in the new year.
3) Don’t over-prepare for the weather
I always find myself wrapped up in a scarf, gloves and a hat only to be drenched in sweat when I’m running for the bus or on the subway.
4) Don’t force yourself to be around rude family members just because it’s the holidays and your mom will scowl at you if you don’t
5) Don’t go to the mall at peak times. You may never make it out.
6) Don’t buy more gifts than necessary just because you think it will make people think differently about you.
People will appreciate whatever you get them, assuming they are the right people to be spending your holidays with.
7) Don’t have outrageous expectations
Just because ads tell you that you should be receiving a 24 carat engagement ring this month doesn't mean you should be expecting one.
8) Don’t forget about your friends because you are spending time with family
They are the family you chose, after all.
9) Don’t spend all your time in doors
The city can be very pretty even if it’s covered by a foot of snow.
10) Don’t forget that soon it will be a new year and a fresh start
What won't you be doing this December?